Alyki emerges from the depths of history. Legend has it that, in ancient times, this peninsula was ruled by Queen Aliki. Behind the houses lining the coast, we can still see the remains of an ancient settlement, while in the eastern gulf, we find the ancient sanctum with its two buildings, constructed in mid-7th century B.C. A “Kouros” statue found on this site in 1880 is currently on display at the Museum of Constantinople. In the Byzantine era, the Christians moved their religious rituals to a hill, formerly occupied by a necropolis, and built two churches there in the 5th century A.D. The historical prosperity of Aliki coincides with the simultaneous mining of the marbles, which lasted from the 6th century B.C. to the 7th century A.D. Unquestionable witness of this area having been really bustling with life is the so-called “Marmarostrata” , which led to Thassos Town: sections of it are still saved to this day in the areas of Petradi and Dermata. Also, the sunken quarry at the edge of the peninsula, with its half-finished quarry works, attests to the fact that there used to be a huge worksite here, which was suddenly abandoned due to an unexpected event, probably the major earthquake in 365 A.D., or the one in 1509 A.D.